Friday, September 10, 2010

Ten Pounds in only Seven Days . . .

YES!  Ten pounds GAINED in only 7 days!  How in the world did that happen?

It is so easy to be deceived.  Well, it is for me, maybe not you.

It all started on a Thursday last month as I celebrated my birthday at a restaurant with friends.  It was an all you want to eat buffet, but served cafeteria style so the portions were controlled.  I thought I was being very good as I loaded my tray.

Small filet of blackened tilapia
Sweet potato souffle
Mashed potatoes seasoned with cheese, bacon and peppers
Steamed brocolli
Peaches
Jalepeno corn bread
margarine
Pecan pie - after all, it was my birthday
water
I didn't go for seconds, but I did eat everything. I was full. Stuffed!  Because it was my birthday the restaurant gave me a slice of red velvet cake to take home. It was only one layer. I took three days to eat it. I was being so good.

The next day, Friday, a friend took me out for more birthday celebration. I had a cobb salad with - you guessed it - more pie!  This time I ate a slice of the three berry pie.  But, after all, it was my birthday.

Sunday, I went shopping after church because I do not live near Walmart or supermarkets. I go to church 21 miles from my house, so I do my weekly shopping on the way home. I was very hot and thirsty, so I went into a convenience store where they had 32 oz drinks for only 49 cents. I was going to get something that would not be fattening, but most of the drinks were empty or out of order. I asked someone who worked there and asked why they were out of lemonade and such? He said I could have any drink I wanted for free.  I could have chosen water (calorie free and good for me) but instead I chose Dr. Pepper.  Trying not to consume 32 ounces of liquid candy, I filled it 1/2 full of diet Dr. Pepper and the rest with regular.  So, I had a pint of liquid candy and a pint of chemicals that kill brain cells.  Wonderful!  Surely it wasn't that fattening!

On Monday I was out and about and again, hot and thirsty.  I stopped at a totally different convenience store to get something to drink. Hmmm, again, what I had planned to buy was empty. I decided to get a frozen cappuccino, they were on sale too!  I stuck the 32 oz up under the nozzle and lifted the handle. The frozen stuff had some ice crystals, but didn't look frozen like the slushies did.  I went to the counter to pay and asked if frozen cappuccinos were supposed to be frozen. Since mine wasn't, the clerk said, take it for free!  So, I did. It was like drinking chocolate milk. I had gulped it down before I knew it.

Tuesday I had to go to the doctor. After wards I went to another, totally different, convenience store for something to drink.  By this time, I was craving a frozen cappuchino.  It wasn't frozen, it was watery. Again, I was told I could have it for free.

Somehow my mind is believing that since I haven't paid for these drinks, although I intended to pay for them, that they are not hurting me. Free.  FREE. FREE!

Wednesday I go shopping for shoes, which I desperately need. Again, it is hot, over 100 degrees, and I am thirsty.  I head for still another convenience store. I want a frozen cappuccino! I am craving it. And this time, it is frozen as it is supposed to be. I pay for it, and enjoy it.  Slurp. Slurp. Slurp.

Now that I have had to actually pay for a drink, I feel that I have accomplished my mission. All the free drinks didn't count, just the one I bought

Thursday morning I step on the scale. It has been one week since my birthday.  I HAVE GAINED TEN POUNDS!  But, how can that be?

Two pieces of pie, red velvet cake, Dr. Pepper, and three 32 oz cappuccinos. And that is just the poison I can remember!

I was horrified to see my weight gain. I shared my sorrows with a friend, who said she had gained 50 pounds drinking cappuccinos when she was in college. That was the only difference in her routine. She was actually eating less, not feeling so hungry after slurping down her cappuccinos. Her doctor told her that those chocolate/coffee drinks were 80 to 90 percent sugar!  And they had a fat in them that caused all those calories to settle right on your belly. She gave up her cappuchinos and with long, hard work, finally lost the 50 pounds.

They should post a warning sign over the frozen cappuchino machine: Warning: Drinking this beverage causes rapid weight gain. 

I know they are not going to post any such sign. But couldn't they post in small print, somewhere on the front of the machine, that if you drink a 32 OZ cappuccino that you are consuming a zillion calories?

No comments:

Post a Comment