Saturday, September 18, 2010

Friday - Fighting Hunger and the bad guy temptations

Today was a great day. It was after lunchtime and I was feeling hungry. I was miles from home and had no cash. Went to Walmart and bought two items I needed so I could get cash back. Standing in the checkout, the candy was calling my name! 

"Hey!  Psst!  You over there!
Yes, You!  Take a look at us. We are on sale!  A candy bar when you are very hungry is a good thing!" 

Me:  "No. I shouldn't be looking at you. You will get me off track"

Candy:  Aww, now, don't be such a prude. We have nuts in us - that is protein, you know, and quite a cheap way to stop those hunger pangs."

Me:  "Twenty more minutes will not kill me. I can wait for lunch."  I turn my back on them.

I walked out the door and left the Peanut M&Ms, Snickers and their buddies wondering what had happened? Why didn't the old tricks work on me today?

Ate a salad with grilled chicken strips for lunch. Drank water.  Lots of water.  Felt full, very full.  Wanted ice cream.  Oh, how I wanted ice cream!  Everywhere I went it seemed there was ice cream lurking and calling my name.  How come all the bad guys know my name?  It's like being whistled at by goons. Did someone post my name in the ice cream freezer, "For a good time call ________"?  Horror at the thought!

I wasn't hungry at supper time, but I needed to eat because I was going to a conference and I knew it would be hours before I would be able to eat again.  I ate a half sandwich (1 slice healthy nut bread, 2 slices turkey breast lunch meat, mayo, spicy mustard,) 1 Tablespoon of peanut butter, 1 ounce of cheese. More water.

Arrived at conference at 7 PM.  It was not over until 10:30. No breaks. I was hungry again!  But eating late at night is one of the things that sabotages my weight loss plan. I start the 17 mile drive home. I am tempted to go to McD's for a cone, but I keep driving; I pass by A& W and I remember how good their root beer floats taste, I keep driving. I'm struggling, but I'm not in this alone. I'm asking God to help me not give in to temptation.

On the way home I want to make all kinds of detours to squelch my hunger with ice cream.  I remember that Blue Bell has pints on sale at a local grocery. I manage to get past there without stopping. Near home, I remember that QT often has Blue Bell pints on sale, but I determine to drive right past.  Finally, there is Braums. Braums is famous for their ice cream, but I shop there for other things.  I stop at Braums and buy bananas, yogurt and a nut/seed dietary snack mix (unsalted.) I drool over the long freezer cases of ice creams and frozen yogurts. I calculate how a 3-1/2 pint carton of Braums is cheaper, pint-for-pint, than the Blue Bell pints on sale. But I know I cannot discipline myself to eat only one serving (1/2 cup) a day.  I ignore the fountain ice cream delights on sale. I manage to get out of there without having an ice cream crisis!   I ignored the naughty ice creams whistling and telling me how good they can make me feel.

At home I reward myself with a serving (3 tablespoons) of the dietary snack mix. 140 calories. I tell myself I need the fiber.  I drink more water.

1Co 10:13  There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.  I Corinthians 10:13

I feel happy, joyful, if you will. I'm not drugged with sugar and fat aka ice cream. God is indeed faithful, when temptations come, to provide a way to escape.  He has promised that I will not be tempted more than I am able to bear.  And I have Holy Spirit living within me. He has the power to overcome sin!  All I need to do is to yield to the spirit instead of the flesh . . . and of course, ignore the sweet whispers of the bad guys looking so handsome with their pictures on the ice cream cartons.

Thank you, Lord for your faithfulness. Thank you for a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment