Monday, October 4, 2010

Day 26 - Sunday - How am I coming with my goal?

What a day!  I didn't get much sleep Saturday night. This morning when the phone rang at 8:25 AM, I was exhausted. It was the friend who rides to church with me. She was hoping I was up and jumping around.  Hardly. Ugh. She tells me it is very cold outside and I should dress warmly.  I check the weather channel and find out it is 39 degrees outside - just 7 degrees above freezing. My whole plans of what I was going to wear must be changed.

I weighed.  Back to 258.5 - so it was dehydration that showed the loss on the scales on Saturday.

I wore black velour slacks, a black blouse, topped by a black and white leopard print velour jacket. When we arrive at church one of the greeters called me skinny girl.  Of course that made my day!

The strange thing is that I am pleased with the loss and the fact that my slacks were loose in the waist and hips.  It is strange because even though most of my adult life I have been overweight, I would have been very dismayed to weigh as much as I do now.  When I look at how actually big I still am, it can be discouraging, but I know that if I keep working at eating right, watching my calories and portions, that I will get even smaller and eventually reach my ultimate goal. 

Right now, my short term goal is to reach 250.  Things have moved so slowly since February that I see each ten pounds as a yard line on a football field.  I need to move the ball 100 yards.  But I'm not looking at the long football field and seeing how impossible it would be to pass, throw or run the ball 100 yards.  I'm going for the first down.  (Football fans will understand what I'm talking about.)  Every time I reach a 10 pound marker, 270, 260, 250, 240, I have achieved a first down. I can celebrate and aim for the next 10 yards or 10 pounds.  I started at 280 in February 2010.  Then 3-1/2 weeks ago I started with the 3D group. I was at 263 then, and have lost about 5 pounds at 258. Not a lot of gain, or loss, depending on perspective, but it is progress. But, I made it down to 260! That is 20 pounds lighter than 280. And now I'm aiming for 250. Someday I will be at 200. I am NOT trying. I am doing it.

Now for the clutter in my home. I took the plastic cups to church and gave them to the director of the ministry to the homeless. I also took 6 or 8 kippered snacks and some fish steaks (sardine steaks in a can) to give to the homeless.  I can't eat them, they give me indigestion.

There is so much similarity to the clutter in my home and the clutter on my body.  It didn't get that way over night and it will not go away over night.  It takes baby steps, routines, consistency, and the  mindset that this is not something I am trying to do, it is something I am doing and am going to accomplish no matter how long it takes.  I have considered the cost, the self discipline, the need to depend upon the Lord for strength to accomplish this, and I am committed.

"For which of  you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it -- lest, after he has laid the foundation, and is not able to finish, all who see it will begin to mock him, saying, "This man began to build and was not able to finish?"  Luke 14: 28-30

No comments:

Post a Comment